Friday, December 01, 2006

I've Had Enough of Fatigue


I’m kind of exhausted today. It’s been a long week, and while there have been some really lovely moments in the midst of the hecticness, I’m relieved that I can start this next week afresh. My parents have been upset that I’ve been doing so much non-school stuff this week, especially with work, volunteering at Head Start, and C&C publicity stuff over the past while; it’s probably a valid concern. But it’s so terribly stressful when one’s parents are upset with one! There was a massive batch of items on a to-do list that I can officially check off as of this evening, and I feel like I can sigh a big breath of relief. It’s an awfully wonderful feeling, although I think I may need some decent sleep to overcome this fatigue. One of my favourite songs to listen to when I’m feeling pathetically sorry for myself is Michael Franti’s “Never Too Late,” which simply describes how you can always start fresh, and I’m quite thankful for that fact, in times as simple as the end of a long week, or as weighty as my sinfulness. There are a few things that I always do when I could use some cheering up, consisting of listening to music (today Zero 7), watching a good movie (tonight Love Actually with Jess), enjoying a warm drink (cocoa for this evening) and spending time with God (reading 1 Peter and The Jesus I Never Knew tonight). It’s pretty much a fail-safe recipe to snap out of my lethargy and notice all the little blessings. I shall make a list of these little blessings from tonight.



Little Blessings from Tonight
  • channel 18 has the yule logs (!!!!)
  • this year the yule logs come with crackling sound effects
  • I am going to purchase the yule log DVD so I can watch it in bed at night (!!!!)
  • snow has such a lovely crystalline glow
  • the snow a warm tone of orange under the street lamps tonight
  • Relevant Magazine is kind of my favourite magazine in the world
  • the smoke stacks on campus are now lit up (so beautiful)
  • tonight’s Filmspotting episode was simultaneously mentally stimulating and hilarious
  • my computer is dreadfully pretty
  • photos I took yesterday turned out decently
  • my sunglasses are pretty much the coolest things ever
  • tunnels and pedways are absolute lifesavers in cold weather
  • I do not have frostbite like I thought I might (!!!!)
  • there are an alarming number of doors that lead to absolutely nowhere on campus
  • politics are increasingly exciting as we near Christmas
  • Bob Rae’s chances of winning are steadily improving
  • my chai latté today was the perfect temperature
  • old beater cars are quite wonderful
  • vats of pickles and ranch dressing at the guys’ house are amusing
  • tomorrow I get to dress up (!!!!)
  • I get to see Grandma and Grandpa and Anne and Tim on Sunday
  • Pastor Lyle’s sermons top any Poli Sci lecture hands down (which is saying a lot!)
  • Jess is pretending to be an electron tomorrow
  • we saw Jess’ grad photos today; she’s a beautiful bumpkin
  • I am done with the poor, abused Sniffy forever and ever
  • Richard Simmons was on Letterman last night; it was amazing
  • honeycombs are decidedly scrumptious
  • the snow fort is coming along nicely
  • there is now an acronym for the “super” in S.U.P.E.R. taster
  • I’m reading Generation X right now, and I love Douglas Coupland

I was going to write about the shallowness of money, the nature of encouragement, and how splendid friends are, but the movie’s gotten to a particularly excellent scene, so I suspect that it’s best if I leave it at that. (I get emotional at very irrational points in Love Actually; I just got teary over seeing a speech about how terrible the States are. I must sleep tonight.) I’ll post a couple of movies that I edited tonight in lulls in the movie from leftover footage of New York, which I miss immensely. Two nights ago they lit up the tree at Rockefeller, the official beginning of the Christmas Season, and it was pretty fantastic. They even played “Jingle Bell Rock” to conclude, which is an exceedingly great song. Thus, I really am sorry that I’m not in NYC with pretty snow, wonderful Ella Fitzgerald music, bustling streets, and beautiful sights all around. But Edmonton does have all my loved ones, my Whyte Avenue, my river valley, and my Eskimos. I’ll stay here for now, I suppose. Also something I’m hoping to do soon is make the most of the snow. The moment that I’m free of exams, I’m having as many snowball fights, skating escapades, tobogganing adventures, and skiing trollops as possible. Tonight, though, is a night for some thinking, relaxing, and savouring the sensation of relief. I hope you’re all able to find some time for rest and renewal in the next while.



Things Completed this Week
  • semester wrap-up video
  • applied research proposal
  • poster presentation
  • Q&A outline for ABC Head Start
  • Sniffy experiments
  • research paper on peak shift
  • earthquake location assignment
  • finding a banquet skit
  • my recent copy of The New Yorker
  • Sociology readings
  • organizing games closet
  • learning choir songs
  • cleaning the back room at work
  • evaluation of volunteering
  • composing my birthday/Christmas list
  • the winter retreat brochure
  • any traces of self-pity



P.S. I miss the summer and New York a bit.

1 comment:

moog said...

I really enjoyed reading the 'jesus i never knew', I then bought a couple more yancey books, but never got into them and they remain on my bookshelf!