Monday, December 04, 2006

The Christmas Spirit (Not the Charles Dickens Kind)

I believe that there is such a thing as the Christmas spirit. As the song goes, I do "hope that we could always see such spirit through the year," but there's something undeniably special about this, my favourite month in the calendar year. People do seem to count their blessings more than usual as we draw near to December 25, and the giving spirit that characterizes Christmas isn't limited to buying things for loved ones. On Saturday, I saw shoppers on Whyte Ave actually interacting with the homeless individuals who lined the shops, a sight which is all too rare. Customers at my café were patient and warm, and appreciative of some refuge from the bitter cold outside. People staffing the mall had hectic days, and yet gave us sincere wishes of a merry Christmas and danced along to some festive music. Yesterday, my dad attempted to replace a frozen flat tire of a girl's car near our house, and upon realizing that she'd need a tow truck, invited her to stay in our house and use the iMac and kitchen while she waited for help and we went off to my grandma and grandpa's for Sunday dinner. My auntie and uncle were shoveling my grandparents' walks when we arrived, and my grandma relayed warm wishes from a bunch of people from our old church from their service that day.

This season truly is beautiful, in some way that is distinguishable from the others. Whether it's the fact that we get some time off of work, the necessity for cooperation in this period of frigid cold and vehicle problems, or leftover giving from buying Christmas presents, it makes me smile to think that people do have it within them to love others wholeheartedly. The final scene in Monty Python's The Meaning of Life is the song "Christmas in Heaven," a song totally mocking televangelism and cliché notions of heaven (only watch it if you're certain you won't be offended!). Although I'm sure they didn't intend this, this song is one that also makes me wonder if this Christmas spirit that I witness around me foreshadows what it might be like when Jesus comes again. We give to charities the most at Christmastime, and seem to better understand the importance of showing love to others, especially friends and family. It's true that there is an increasingly materialistic aspect of Christmas. But the heart of Christmas, the celebration of Jesus' birth and its meaning in our lives, really does give me hope, peace, love, and joy. It's wonderful and hope-giving to witness at least a bit of these four elements of Advent in the people around me as well.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cait, where do you get the time to actually write and proofread and post all these blogs when every other student I know if majorly stressed out with the last week of classes? hmmm... this is my question followed by why do you have the insatiable need to post details of your life for friends, but also strangers, to see?
We must get together after exams-I’ve been wanting to try Dadeos on Whyte. Email me when you're done, I only have a week left!

Cait said...

Well, fellow CJ, I must admit that blogging is my favoured procrastination method. It requires relatively little energy, and is a good way to communicate thoughts to friends (and the rest of the world at times, I suppose). I will confess that blogging at times does lead to creepy incidences, but this can generally be remedied by deleting comments. All in all, I'd say that it works as a splendid distraction from school, plus one can post vain pictures and videos to satisfy one's ego. If one is vain, of course.

Also, it is strange referring to you as CJ. I kind of enjoy it, though; I feel as if I'm on an episode of Full House, or some other show in which initials constitute nicknames. It is, I dare say, the best set of initials of all. And you're done in a week?! LUCKY! I've got two weeks, and then I'm free as a bird until the new year. We really do need to get together; I've let this term's busyness interfere with fun with you, which is quite shameful.

Dadeos would be lovely. Although I recently claimed that I was food-poisoned there, I doubt that their decadent sweet potato fries and coleslaw could ever upset a stomach. Over the holidays, we should also check out one of the many excellent movies released this month, indulge in some skating (with non-plastic, non-breakable skates), or admire some New York photos. I can't wait! Talk to you soon (cross my heart and hope to die)!

P.S. There is music from Don Giovanni on one of my Christmas albums. Somehow, womanizing and wearing tight leather pants and a mullet is festive and seasonal. I'll have to play you the song.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like we have one very busy holiday-day planned together. I actually have never been to dadeos, so that's a priority as is skating and pictures. Have you got solid skates? Although it may be more fun if you don't...

Cait said...

I got your comment late last night while with a gang from church (it was 2:30 and I was trying to show a friend a video on the blog). I laughed pretty hard. I've been informed that "Kakolapimp" continues to be a regular sub at Scona, although I've never had the pleasure of reuniting with him in a romantic interlude. Perhaps I'll call him up over the holidays; they always say that Christmas is the time of year to reconnect with long lost loves and figures from one's past. I bet he'd wear his extra special $9 Safeway glasses if we met up, too. I'd swoon for sure when he asked ever-so poetically, "Ceht, do you like me?"

I must say, however, that you are simply sadistic to suggest that my historic issues with skates are amusing. That one particular plastic-skate incident was highly traumatic; I was scarred for life, and now often skate close to the edge of the pond at Hawrelak just in case I have to make a premature exit. I did, you'll be pleased to know, purchase real skates from United Cycle last winter (they even molded them to my feet in a slightly suspect process). With leather skates, I'm pretty much an unstoppable skater; my triple sow cow is incredibly impressive. While you nearly always seem to skate too quickly, the last time we went you had the aid of your mom's fancy-schmancy skates. Perhaps with you in your regular skates I"ll be able to overtake you in a race (but likely not).

Hope studying's not too gruesome!

Anonymous said...

I think a simple stroll down whyte ave, just before christmas, demonstrates just how much people are willing to make the extra effort to be nice. I find more folks not only make eye-contact, but actually smile while walking down the ave. - something that only happens rarely in the busy summer months.