Friday, November 24, 2006

Snow Certainly has Advantages


Tonight the foundations of this year's Lobe Snow Fort were laid, despite the snow's complete un-stickiness and our excessive hysteria over pouring water on our shoes and wearing silly clothes. Thus far, the major features of our lair include a table made out of a tree stump, short walls, an entrance, and a pretty radtacular floor. Previous forts have included windows, bench seats, and storage holes in the walls à la Fred Penner, so hopefully we'll get to incorporate some other architectural delights into the space as winter progresses. One of the very best things about having a fort in your lawn is that the floor makes a great spot to lie down on and observe the stars from, and it was fun to reminisce with Jess about star-gazing nights of the past. We've got our fingers crossed for more snow, since our main priority at this point in building is increasing the height and width of the walls. Snow adventures were followed by hot chocolate and a French movie with Mamushka and Diddy about a tax lawyer who poses as a psychiatrist (I napped through the latter moments of the film; building a fort is good hard work). That's really all I've got to say; I'm just excited by the prospect of improving our fort and spying on passersby.

P.S. Jess is seriously all I could ask for in a friend and sister. I love her oh-so very much.

P.P.S. I've found a new studying spot on campus, and it's superly duperly awesome. My dad used to take Jess and I there when we were really young, but I hadn't been there in ages, and I"m thrilled to have rediscovered it. It has all the essentials of a studying nook: a large window with a good view of campus, plenty of incoming sunlight, a comfortable seat, enough table space to study on, a healthy amount of peace and quiet, and enough room to bring friends along when desired.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know you, but your profile made me smile. I live in the US and right now it is late at night here and all day I have been consuming current events news from various media sources in the US and blogging about the sadness (and the madness) that I see. As you know, America is a complete mess right now and I am feeling totally overwhelmed about how badly things are going in Iraq, in the White House (George Bush) and across our cities. The way you talked so lovingly about your country made me long for the days when I was a child and felt the same way about my country. I apologise for putting so much of my emotional stuff on someone I don't know, but I just wanted to say that reading your blog tonite has brought me a measure of relief and put things back into perspective (at least until tomorrow). I am an avid (actually, I am a hopelessly addicted) blogger, so I generally spend my days consuming media, digesting it and then writing about it on my little blog. Feel free to visit (my blogs) if you would like, but since they are all about politics and race they are very heavy and very sad so don't read it for too long (or else you might get depressed like me). Anyways, I have wasted enough of your time, so keep it real and most of all, stay happy and keep on blogging!

Cait said...

I'm glad to hear that you're an American who truly cares about your nation and the implications of its government's actions. I'm sorry to hear that the often-frustrating actions of your country's government are so disheartening to you. It's really difficult to strike a balance between genuine concern for world events and debilitating sadness over the world's sometimes-sorry state. I do feel so blessed to live in a country that shares many of my values, and that I am proud of for so many varied reasons. But I think that in a way, your clear distress over a truly disconcerting situation in your nation (that rhymes!) shows that you do have a deep love for your country. Your blog highlights some very significant issues, and I appreciate that there are Americans who continue to care even when it's uncomfortable or unpleasant to. Keep up the good fight!

God bless!

Anonymous said...

I liked the Fred Penner reference- it makes your writing fresh and alive. But may I say, looking over the past months of blogs, enough with the blurry cait pictures, shoes, and semi artistic etc. try some variation or pictures that relate to the subject of your post :)

Cait said...

Some ideas to ponder, Anonymous. I tend to think of my blog as just an exposition of things I've been mulling over and experiencing recently rather than a series of themed entries. Because of that, I usually put up pictures of the things I've enjoyed as of late, rather than ones that would complement my convoluted paragraphs. To tell you the truth, I kind of like blurry Cait pictures, shots of shoes, and photos of strange things! If I had time to take pictures that illustrated the things I write about, it really would be cool to have more entry-appropriate photos. But because I make the rules on my blog, I mainly just upload pictures that I've liked in the last little while. Thanks for the input though!

P.S. Fred Penner is a hero of mine. Not only does he have a cool nook for his guitar, but he works closely with World Vision, a really wonderful organization.

Anonymous said...

wow--- blog spree!! I'm going to enjoy reading this. That is, after I go un-jam the copier. yay?