Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Macs are Wonderful (from the C&C forum)


I love this ad. It makes me want to be the person who speaks up when it's akward, or does something that seems a bit strange and against the norm, just because it's the right or important thing to do. Computers really are superficial things, and approaching computers in an unconventional way isn't super revolutionary, but my love of Apples is often frowned upon by PC users. Especially people from church seem to strongly dislike Macs, as was indicated on our C&C forum today. Here was my feeble defence of my favourite computers of all... Anyone who is anti-Apple deserves their prosaic PCs with their hideousness, tendency to crash, and useless software. I am blessed to have grown up in an Apple family with Frank the Mac, Gandalf the iMac, Gimli the iBook, Arwen the MacBook, and Gazelda the eMac. Because of my wonderful heritage with Mac computers, I have evaded struggles with technology througout my lifetime, and have an unbreakable bond with my computers; my very first computer could not be parted with, so he sits in my closet. Macs are so wonderful and animated that they become a friend in a certain sense, and most users have a strong love for their computer. I know dozens of PC users who long to get a Mac, and more than a dozen converts from the awful PCs. Conversely, I have never in my life met a Mac user who wanted a PC, and have never heard of an Apple user who switched over to the PC world. In fact, Microsoft's rebuttal to Apple's "Switch to Mac" ad campaign was to have actors pretend that they had converted to PCs using the names of dead people. This is no joke. Is it a coincidence that Macs are so loved, even by people who don't use them? I think not.

Although my dad is really the Apple expert in our household, I can try to impart to all you Apple-ignorant folk the wonders of using a Mac. First off, Macs are simply easier to use. Everything is laid out in a highly logical manner, and the graphics and software are not only beautiful, but exceptionally lifelike. Because Apples are so well-designed, they are incredibly user friendly. My grandma learned how to use a computer in a single day at the tender age of 75 using my grandpa's new iMac; hitherto she had been unable learn how to use a PC. My dad convinced his school to get all Apple computers a few years ago, and the kids love how fun and accessible they are. Additionally, Macs do not crash. They never get viruses. Once they're plugged into an outlet, they're ready to go. They are faster than PCs. How can you beat that? Quite simply, you can't beat that, and Apple fans suffer far much stress due to computer issues and annoyances. My family has converted more than 15 families to Apples since I was born, and these switchers invariably notice the absence of hassles and struggles on their new computers. No longer must ctr+alt+del be used, and gone are the days of hesitating to trust e-mails due to the fear of viruses. Once a Mac is taken out of the box, given a power source, and turned on, life is markedly improved.

It's undeniable that Macs are gorgeous. When Bono described iPods as the sexiest thing since the electric guitar, he meant it. Apple products are carefully designed with both form and function in mind, which explains why Microsoft reliably copies Mac ideas. Mircosoft just now joined the Aqua bandwagon, while Apple has already moved onto a more progressive aesthetic. Why do almost all professional artists, filmmakers, musicians, photographers, and creative people in general use Macs? Because they appreciate beauty and are looking for a creativity-friendly computer. Apple employs zillions of design-savvy people to ensure the sleekness and prettiness of its hardware, and its operating systems are equally lovely. Macs really are adorable, and come in a variety of shapes and sizes, one of which would suit you, I'm certain. And if you really want a right-click mouse, you can totally buy them; Macs can easily be used with right-click mice, it's just that most Apple people don't like right-clicking, and prefer to use the "option" button when necessary. It's a matter of preference, but if for some reason you enjoy having another thing to click, you could have that. Yes it's true that Apple's PR team is awesome, but the attitude of wanting hiring creative and innovative people in PR is also applied to the engineers and designers who make the hardware.

I trust Steve Jobs far more than Bill Gates with my computer and various computer accessories. If any of my friends ever use a Mac as an anchor, I will cry. I really will. I must mention again that I'm unaware of a lot of computer things, and I know that Apples have several mother benefits that I have neglected to bring to your attention. If you still disagree with me, I would direct you to my dad, Apple indoctrinator extraordinaire. He has a much firmer grasp on alpha lock chips and RF modulators than I. (A friend responds with a reaction to my pro-Apple propoganda... Imagine arguments based on efficiency, children's opinions being insignificant, and a devaluation of objects' beauty. Typical PC.) I'm pretty sure that the naming of computers isn't unique to Mac users (a lot of people enjoy christening their PCs too), and I kind of enjoy naming things in general. It's rather fun! Apple users aren't quite members of a cult... A cult is defined by religious beliefs and a high degree of tension with the surrounding society combined with novel religious ideas. You could certainly say that Apple has a cult-like following, but many good things have so-called "cult-like followings," and Mac users are not pressured, manipulated with fear tactics, or brainwashed.

I know the comment about my grandma was a joke, and I suppose it is true that you could teach a chimp to use a computer, though it couldn't quite use spell-check or create computer programs. My grandma truly is exceptionally talented! She had the highest marks in the Faculty of Arts in university, and is a highly resourceful and intelligent person. She just doesn't find using a PC to be worthwhile because saving files into strange things called "My Computer" and having to avoid viruses is taxing at times. There really isn't anything infuriating about Macs! I'm not how using them would cause anger since they're much less counter-intuitive than PCs usually are. But maybe I'm so habituated to Apples that I just don't notice irritating things. Also, Macs really never crash; certain programs might freeze, but that program can be quit, and the computer doesn't have to be restarted. Maybe on extremely rare occasions the computer might fail somehow, but a computer honestly hasn't crashed in my house since Tiger came out. Not even once. My uncle got an iMac a year ago, and has completely avoided all crashes, viruses, and disappearing files since then. Prior to that, he got viruses on a regular basis, struggled with files being deleted, and was frequently aggravated by his computer crashing. I don't really think that these things were happening because he was too inept to use his computer.

As for viruses, it's true that part of the reason that Macs aren't targeted is because there are simply less Mac users to victimize. But another limiting factor is that Macs have a secure Unix base. This means that whenever the computer wants to do something suspicious, the user is warned in advance, and they can stop any damage from happening. So I suppose a virus could work if people agreed to let the virus do damage, but most would likely stop something strange happening to their Mac. My dad explains this much better. I really kind of like children, and tend to enjoy a great deal of the things that they like! Thus, I think it's neat that they too appreciate all that is fun, cool, and pretty in Macs, even though they might, like me, not quite understand everything about the computer that they're using. I think that they're opinion is pretty much as valid as anyone else's. although admittedly most Apple fans are adults. But we are all, I see, wayward children in error. As for this right-click business, as aforementioned, you can get a right-click mouse if you'd like! I find them to be a nuisance, but I know several Mac users who use them, and they work exactly as they do on a PC. So if you're aiming for efficiency, that can certainly be achieved with a Mac as well.

Just like children, Macs are really cute! They're rotund, shiny, and interesting. I don't want to say that someone's visual taste is superior to someone else's, because that would amount to complete snobbery. But it is true that people who make a living in the visual arts prefer Apple computers. I personally find Macs really beautiful, and I tend to appreciate a certain aesthetic a lot, and it's one reason why I enjoy these computers so much. I am kind of picky about things that furnish my bedroom, so I'll admit that whether my computer fits in with the rest of my furnishings or not is important to me. I've never in 20 years of life on this planet seen a PC that looked better than a Mac. Plus, Apple computers take up way less space than most PCs do. My dad truly isn't a cult enforcer! I was using hyperbole when characterizing him as an indoctrinator; he's only used violence and deceit a few times when discussing Apples with PC users (that too was sarcasm...). He's quite soft spoken and mild-mannered, but he enjoys using Macs for computer programming, video editing, word processing, and other day to day tasks involved in the to-do list of a computer teacher. Maybe it seems like Mac users are condescending when we defend our Apples so vehemently, but it's just that PC users really do miss out on a lot just because Macs aren't totally mainstream and widely accepted.




















I also don't know of any non-game programs that can't be run on a Mac. Like, at all. Most everything comes in a Mac version! As for games, if you really enjoy them, it's extremely simple to partition the computer with a gross Windows side for games etcetera. My cousins have done this, and it works very well, and they've yet to run out of space on either of the partitioned sides. So to reduce stress levels and improve performance in brain surgery, a Mac could certainly be used for games. The only thing I will categorically, without a doubt, totally disagree with you on is the thought that PCs are better for home-editing of photos, videos, and music. This is so insanely untrue! My family has recorded entire songs using a simple program on Garage Band, which any amateur music editor will admit is far superior to any such software available for PCs as well. As well, iPhoto and other Apple home-editing programs are noted as much easier to use, and more useful, in photo editing, just as Final Cut Pro and iMovie are regarded as superior to any PC software for video editing. I believe a few members of the AV Club at church would argue this better than I.

It's really quite easy to communicate between Macs and PCs, though I'm probably not the best person to explain how to integrate the two breeds of computer. But many businesses do this quite seamlessly! As for fiddling around with the inside of the computer, I know that various family members have done this, it's just less people would want to modify their Macs. Not sure precisely how this is done, and I'm sure you know more about that Matt (that rhymed!). But you definitely could change your Mac, especially with the tower Apples where the computer's designed to be change-friendly. Finally, kids are so not stupid! Their propensity for creativity, inadvertent humour, and clever insight repeatedly amazes me. They might think differently from those more advanced in years, and may be at a different place cognitively, but they certainly have valuable and interesting thoughts. Children are some of my favourite people in the world, if not my very favourite. Any further qualms with my love of Apple and Steve Jobs can be directed towards my comments section. I'm rather passionate about computers, and will likely respond with some attempt at a reasonable response. After all, once an Apple user, always an Apple user! (In an un-cult-like way, of course.)

Apple's Reasons to Switch to a Mac
  • It just works. How much time have you spent troubleshooting your PC? Imagine a computer designed by people who hate to waste time as much as you do. Where all the hardware and software just works, and works well together. Get a Mac and get your life back.
  • You can make amazing stuff. Every Mac comes with iLife ’06, a suite of software that transforms your photos, music, and video into all kinds of projects. Make high-quality websites, photo books, DVDs, songs, slideshows, music CDs, calendars, cards, prints, podcasts, music videos, documentaries, and more.
  • Design that turns heads. You won’t want to hide your Mac in a corner of the den. You’ll want it front and center in your life. The Apple style shows in every detail, from its sculpted surfaces to its gorgeous Mac OS X graphics.
  • 114,000 Viruses? Not on a Mac. Mac OS X was designed with security in mind. Windows just wasn’t built to bear the onslaught of attacks it suffers every day. A Mac offers a built-in firewall, doesn’t advertise its existence on the Net, and isn’t compromised within an hour of being turned on.
  • Next year’s OS today. Since Mac OS X engineers aren’t busy damming a flood of viruses, they have the time to think up amazing new technology. Like Dashboard widgets, mini-applications offering a world of capabilities just a keystroke away. Or a built-in RSS news reader.
  • The latest Intel chips. Intel Core Duo processors put you on the cutting edge. In fact, a Mac with an Intel chip is so fast it surprises even longtime Windows pundits, who keep running benchmarks again and again. Results? Fast. Fast. Yup, still fast.
  • Instant video chats. Setting up a video chat with the people next door — or across the globe — should be as simple as picking up the phone. On a Mac, you just click an icon to have a four-way video chat in a full-screen window with amazing clarity and special effects.
























  • More fun with photos. On a Mac, you don’t need any extra software to make a photo book. You don’t have to leave your photo software to visit a separate website and wait for forms to load. All you need is a camera and a Mac.
  • One-click websites. How long does it take to post a photo or video to your blog on a PC? On a Mac, you can shoot a picture or a movie with the built-in camera, then post it on the web in a few clicks. Pontificate, preachify, and publish. The hardest part is coming up with something to say.
  • Amazing podcasts. Want to get your message out to the world? Podcast it. A Mac makes it simple to create professional podcasts, complete with artwork. Add sound effects and jingles, even use the built-in radio engineer to make it perfect. So you can be a talk star in seconds.
  • Rock star tunemaking. Musicians get all the girls (or guys). And a Mac has the software to turn you into the musician of your dreams. Choose from hundreds of cool riffs and instruments to create your own songs. Get good enough and you could be on iTunes.
  • Hollywood-style movies. Connect your DV camera and turn your movies into spectaculars. Add graphics, titles, and sound effects in minutes. Then use your Mac to burn a DVD or post to your website.
  • No hunting for drivers. Just plug in your stuff. A Mac includes USB drivers for mass storage, digital cameras, input devices, iPod, and more. It can see Bluetooth cell phones and headsets, as well as FireWire cameras. No rebooting.
  • Awesome out of the box. Other computers include software, it’s true. But once you start using that software, you find that you’re hobbled in some way or another. Software included with the Mac, on the other hand, is critically acclaimed as best in class.



This photo was taken in the Museum of Modern Art in New York, one of my very favourite places in the city. It is largely regarded by artists as the premiere display of modern art on the face of the planet, and features the greatest artists in the world. Here are three Apple products in a one-room exhibit on modern design. There were no PCs in the exhibit at all. I know this is art snobbery, but you can't deny that Macs are not just cute, they're gorgeous. They're art.

2 comments:

moog said...

But why don't they have more than one mouse button, pressing alt and mouse is such a pain.

Macs are designed by a brit I believe - hooray for britain.

Cait said...

Hooray for Britain indeed! Hundreds of engineers and designers are involved in creating one computer, but I'm sure that a good chunk of them are British.

As for this mouse thing, I really do promise that you can use a two-click mouse on an Apple if you'd like to! Most Mac users prefer to use other shortcuts, but if you really wanted to have a mouse identical to the ones used on PCs, you absolutely could. They work precisely the same as the other mice. Goodness, one of the major issues with Macs seems to be their mice. If Apple had an advertising campaign explaining that one could get either kind of mouse for their Mac, it could be rather effective. I personally enjoy being able to use my leg to control the mouse while my hands hold a magazine or mug of tea. My legs, unfortunately, do not have the dexterity to use a double-sided mouse.