Friday, March 16, 2007

Rules Schmules (Or Perhaps Not)

Quite often, I find rules to be ridiculous. The fact that brown belts can’t be paired with black shoes, that the commencement of a play must be greeted with applause, and the way in which guys often feel obligated to open doors exclusively for girls strikes me as kind of laughable. Ben (who is back!! I missed him!!) was arguing the merits of the latter item in that list this week, not surprisingly. His only explanation for why he feels compelled to open doors and pay for girls was based on the historical practice of such acts of chivalry. In truth, I’m not deeply troubled by boys opening doors for me, though sometimes I can’t help but giggle, nor am I going to refrain from clapping for a few moments when the curtains open at the Citadel just because I find it silly, but many implicit rules that our society has adopted are more significant and bothersome. Some rules have a profound impact on how we live day-to-day, and can be both unhelpful and unhealthy, whether it’s certain discussion-worthy topics becoming taboo, our unquestioning acceptance of some forms of authority, or the increasing unacceptability of greeting an unfamiliar passerby on walks down Whyte. Often, it’s Christian-created rules that bother me the most; I think it’s limiting to when we create set ways that we worship and pray in, make sometimes excessively-defined gender roles, and avoid acknowledging that we drink/dance/play poker (etcetera!) outside of church. I think it’s simplistic to think that there are set formulas that we can teach people to facilitate their courtship practices, “save” their non-Christian friends, maintain their sexual purity, be happy, and so on. People are individuals, and few formulas in life apply to everyone. If we want a formula, the combination of prayer, Bible-reading, and community generally diminish the need for silly “Ingredients to Success” lists. God created us to be individuals, and synthetic rules might be helpful to one person, but could easily be detrimental to another.


All this is to say that I’m not fond of certain manmade rules. But more than I’d like to think, my distaste for some expectations keeps me from recognizing the importance of truly important rules. I believe that God commanded us to do things for our own good; a command to be joyful has obvious merits, and even the not-so-obviously-valuable commandment not to covet is hard to argue with. God loves us, and wants us to live the rich lives, living this life can sometimes feel like a narrow path I think. This week, in various ways, I’ve seen how important some of these guidelines are, in situations that went south because of a lack of listening to God, or blessings that comes out of abiding by His rules even when it’s annoying and inconvenient (sometimes God asks me to do things that I find bothersome; I’ve found that it’s pretty much always a good idea to listen to Him though). The idea that as Christians, we should go to church on Sundays seems so rigid and arbitrary to me, but without consistent community and learning that a church body provides, it’s so hard to live “well” in that Christian sense, I think. God’s idea of marriage, too, is an idea that I am rather keen on, but a lot of people I talk about it with struggle with the restriction of it. When people do things their own way, it’ doesn’t always go so well. He’s shown me this week that He really does know best, and that when He’s not our Lord, things can get awfully messed up awfully fast. He never created these rules out of power-thirst; He created them out of love. I know this is vague, but I’ve found it to be a comfort this week to know that even when rules seem limiting and “fun-sucking,” as Crystal would say, they’re there for a reason. Despite my tendency to frown upon strange and arbitrary synthesized rules, there are rules that were made by Someone who knows better, and while my following them might sometimes seem futile, I’d like to think that it never really is.


I’ve been journaling about apathy and pride this week, neither of which are necessarily pleasant topics, but I’ve enjoyed the catharsis that comes along with writing about things. However, as I have decided from typing the past two paragraphs, some things aren’t blogged about so easily, so I shall refrain continuing my discussion of things learned this week! It’s been one of those weeks that is hectic and stressful, but somehow pleasant nonetheless. I’d be praying about something particular that was on my mind, and would open my devotionals, or turn to a page in my Bible, only to find that what I was reading something that addressed precisely what I’d been pondering. (At one point I was wondering to God what exactly a radical life looks like, as this is something I’ve been trying to define recently, and I opened my devotionals to find that that days’ readings were titled “A Radical Life.”) Sometimes there are just too many coincidences at once for all of them to be actual coincidences; I love when God’s presence is so very tangible. Friends, too, have brightened a taxing week. As aforementioned, Ben is back, and it was so good to catch up with him (I even enjoyed a violent, gender-stereotyping, intellectually limited film, which was quite momentous).

On the other end of the friend spectrum, my wonderful co-CJ friend, who likes to remain “Anonymous” in the blogosphere, met up with me for some iced Vietnamese coffee and chai today, and just chatting with her while sitting on strange tin chairs was so delightful. It’s nice to know that she’s remained as droll, clever, and lovely as she was in the days of mocking rat-loving LA teachers and lying about her father’s career (for more than two years!). She hooked me up with a cute little book on feminism, and made a brilliant sales pitch for the anti-racism concert she’s involved in next week; the fact that I hung out with both Ben and her this week makes me laugh. Jess was THE BEST study buddy over the past few days, the kind that says nice, supportive things and eats taco chips in bed with you, but also tell you to stop looking up “pecuniary” in the thesaurus when studying is necessary. (But really, isn't pecuniary a great word? I'm endeavouring to use it more regularly.) Jess and I have a new favourite song by Of Montreal titled “Wraith Pinned to the Mist and Other Games,” and it’s definitely one of our best romantic theme songs of all time (it’s wise to have romantic theme songs with friends; Korp and I recently selected one from our choir repertoire, and we make kissing/eyelash-batting signals whenever we sing it at practice). Plus, dinner with some of my favourite sadistic people tonight was full of laughter, blushing, and general contentment. Crystal even confirmed that she’s going to watch Star Wars, something that she’s been avoiding for nearly a year.



Basically, people make life lovely even when school attempts to make it torturously painful. I had a midterm yesterday and today, and am currently writing an essay on the evolutionary theories related rape, which is rather depressing to research as you might imagine. Fortunately, writing and researching papers is far more stimulating than reading textbooks for hours on end, and I no longer have to write about A Knight’s Tale, which turned out to be a very unwise essay topic indeed. Besides textbooks and articles about the trauma of domestic abuse, I’ve been reading Sex God and Tuesdays with Morrie this week; these are both highly recommendable books, and thus, I am recommending them to you. As an aside, I will inform you that I struggled to find a copy of Sex God in Edmonton at first, and resultingly had to phone various book stores asking “Do you have a copy of Sex God in?” I found this to be slightly mortifying. Even worse was when I went to Chapters to get the copy that I’d finally got on hold, and the clerk very clearly thought that it was some Kama Sutra-esque book, and mouthed the title (refusing to say it aloud) when confirming that this was, indeed, the book that I wanted to read. He showed me the cover, and proceeded to ring it through without making eye contact or speaking again. In fact, Sex God is a Christian book about humanity, intimacy, desires, and so on; the clerk was evidently not aware of this. I really should be off to bed before the St. Patty’s bonanza that awaits me at work tomorrow morning, so I shall bid you all goodnight! I feel I should apologize for the excessive futility of this entry. This has been my break from reading articles, and I’m clearly not in a writing groove right now (hopefully this serves as a warm up for paper-writing tomorrow). Happy St. Patty’s Day my dear Irish and not-so-Irish friends!


P.S. Virb.com is going to replace Facebook and MySpace in 5 years. For now, I have made friends with Bloc Party while the rest of you remain satisfied with Facebook. 5 years, though, and you'll all be my Virb-buddies. Mark my words.
P.P.S. Puddles and sunshine and pleasant breezes make spring one of my favourite seasons. When wearing rainboots, the vast amount of mud is exceedingly enjoyable. My puffer jacket is officially stored away until next winter. I hope you're making the most of this pleasant time of year!
P.P.P.S. Conrad Black is difficult to love. His last name describes his heart quite suitably, I think. I am glad that Jean Chrétien was mean to him.

4 comments:

Andrew said...

Hey Cait,

Well I wanted to inform you that not every guy opens doors for girls because of tradition. I open doors for girls [especially my most amazingly spectacular Sarah] because of respect.

I know its kind of silly, but thats why. But I think more than that it shows kindness. I love being at the U and being in a somewhat bad mood, but I hold the door open for someone so they can get a running start as they dash through the blizzard that awaits them. It not only brightens their life when they observe this random act, but it also brightens mine when they have this glimpse of gladness.

So don't be too quick to dismiss a true gentleman opening a door for you!

Anyways, I love the video on your virb.com account. I defiantly want to be like that when I'm old!

-Andrew

Matt said...

I think I have to join in this half debate about opening doors for people. The first reason that girls should have any door opened for them is obvious. Doors are heavy; girls have naturally puny arms. Half of the time I am afraid that they will get hurt if they attempt opening any door at all. I'm sure they have brittle bones as well. Really they shouldn't be trusted to do many physically demanding things, but opening doors really should be on the top of the list.

I guess there are other reasons as well, but they are really hard to think of right now... I mean I'm sure there is another good reason out there somewhere. Well, even without further proof, the first reason is sufficient enough and should always be kept in the forefront of the minds of guys and gals everywhere.

From my own experience, opening doors for others seems to follow many different social codes and does not rely heavily on gender at all.
1. If you are in front of another person who is either following you or talking with you, and is just a couple steps behind for some reason, it is just natural for you to open the door and hold it for them. Sometimes people don't walk side-by-side with each other and that is cool. If you are walking side-by-side about 10 steps out from the door, follow the next rules. If not, and the door is a large one that will shut on its own , then holding it will be required. If not, just enter first and don't close it in someone's face.
2. If you are walking beside someone, the person who is on the correct side of the door should step ahead, ever so slightly, to signal that they will be grabbing the door and then proceed to hold it for the next person. How do you tell which side is the correct one? If the door opens to the outside, it's the side opposite the handle. That way, when you open the door the other person is not stepping around you making it awkward and unnecessary.
3. This next rule is a tricky one. If you are walking with someone who is on the correct side and they do not signal that they are going to open the door you are in a predicament. My best advice is go for the handle and enter first, seeing as you will be closest to it. Do not try to hold the door open for someone else from the inside. It makes things really weird. Then the person is walking past your arm and you, and more often than not the door opening is too small for both of you meaning that you have to let go of the door as they enter making your effort worthless and weird.
4. If you are approaching a set of at least two doors that open to different sides, watch for the other person to step ahead. If they don't and you really feel the need to open the door for them, signal with your feet and try it. Be aware that they also have the option of going for another door and that is okay. If they try to keep step with you, don't hold the door, just go through first. If there is a larger group of people, let the first one to the door make the decision. Everyone should follow it. Going to the side of an already open door is redundant.
5. If someone is more than two or three steps behind you don't worry about opening the door for them. If they have to change their pace at all because you are waiting there at the door you just look weird. And remember, do not ever hold a door open for someone from the inside. It is just weird.
6. The rules for leaving a building are simple. Don't hold the door open really at all. The only reason that you should keep your hand on the door is if you have to close and lock it. Especially if someone is walking out of a building like a mall and they will not have to wait at the door for any reason, you do not have to hold the door open for them. It doesn't really help them at all.
7. This one is the most important of all. Obey the first 6 rules at all times unless you are actually helping someone by holding the door for them. Eg: they do not have any free hands, they are pushing a stroller, they are in a wheelchair and there is no power door, etc. Being nice is a good thing.

(These rules are just a friendly guide and may or may not be influenced by Garner Andrews on Sonic.)

P.S. Girls should follow these rules as well. Well... only if your arms can take it.
P.P.S. I just realized I put a whole whack of rule in a comment of a blog about the seeming uselessness of (some) rules. I find that ironious.
P.P.P.S. Apparently ironious is not a word. It should be. Ironic just doesn't have the same ring to it. It feels more like erroneous, which helps to describe this certain situation of irony. It's a new conflated word! Webster, you better be reading this blog.

Anonymous said...

ironious -adjective
i-roh-nee-uhs [əˈroʊniəs, ɛˈroʊ-]
1. containing or illustrating irony, particularly irony in a context of error
2. the way that guys frequently open doors for girls, but not for guys, and sometimes not for girls wearing grungy clothes on campus

Coming to a dictionary near you.

Cait said...

Ahaha! Ditto to what Matt said.

It really is such a struggle for me to open doors with my puny arms. I suppose I should be more appreciative when guys recognize the fact that my arms are so puny, especially when they wait at the end of the long hallway in Law until I arrive at the door to open it for me. My arms are sore just from typing this; I had to open a door today by myself, and it really tuckered my arms out. I couldn't believe that a knight in shining armour didn't come to my rescue when I faced the grim prospect of opening a door; there was an apparent lack of true gentlemen in the vicinity at that point. In general, I guess guys really don't deserve to be shown respect in the way that girls are.

I'm sorry Andrew. You can open a door for me anytime, and I promise to stifle any giggling. If Sarah appreciates door opening, then all power to you to open each and every door you encounter together. (I'm really not trying to be this sarcastic, I promise.) These gender types of discussions are much more effective in person, so we'll have to do a 0.5 + 1.5 Oodle Noodle lunch and discuss door opening at some point.

P.S. Perhaps Garner Andrews deserves a bit more credit than I give him and his little radio station. There really is a fine art to opening doors, and attempting to define it is an ambitious task. (But don't tell Jess I said nice things about Garner Andrews, because she will rub this in, and force me to listen to even more than my current daily dose of commercial radio. They still play irksome ads, and lack the pleasant snobbery of CBC.)
P.P.S. Isn't the video for Hoppipolla great? I'm definitely getting out my mom's Wellington's and doing some similar puddle splashing today. I'll have to show you the video for Glosoli sometime; Sigur Ros has yet to make a video that I don't adore. Also on the topic of Virb, Nicole has joined me as a fellow Virbster, so I now have a real friend on Virb. This is very exciting.
P.P.P.S. Your comment is amusingly ironious, Matt... But these rules are at least helpful; sometimes door opening can be awkward without a set protocol on when and how to open doors. And the puniness of girls' arms can never be overstated; it's just a fact of human biology.