Monday, February 26, 2007

Thank Goodness for "Good Days"

Today is a good day. Not that every day isn’t or can’t be a good day (hurrah for double negatives!), but usually there are two or three days in a week that are especially pleasant. On those particular days, the sun shines a little bit brighter, people are slightly more sympathetic, and all the little things that a day is made up of are somehow more delightful. Today, I saw a row of trees with matching lichen, watched as neighbours helped each other shovel their walks, and walked down my old block, among other things. There’s nothing exceptionally remarkable about those things, but the small things in life are my favourite ones I think. It’s so cool to see how detailed God’s creation is, whether in the way that water sticks to itself when my spoon slithers in and out of it, or the amusement of moving my static-y hair from side to side. On good days, these little things are magnified. When Jess and I were younger, we had designated “good days.” Friday was always a good day, and then usually another day, made special by a new episode of Star Trek or a visit from Auntie Anne and Uncle Tim with Frosty Dairy Desserts (it was necessary to call them “Frosty Dairy Desserts” rather than Frosties; I was a highly snobby child). On these good days, we would save our best underwear, favourite brightly-coloured tights, and save one of Grandma’s famous buns to eat on that day. I like that we were able to appreciate how wonderful it was that even underwear could be cool, and that a fist-sized homemade bun could make one’s day. I hope I never grow out of getting excited over trivial things; I’m quite sure that my parents haven’t grown out of the fascination with small details (my mom shouts exclamations of joy when she sees anything in a shade of robin egg blue), but I think it’s very easy for life to become slots of time rather than an experience of God’s creation. Life’s a feast for the senses; we have five of them for a reason.

Onto an equally self-indulgent topic, last night was Oscars night, and as aforementioned, they were rather fantastic as usual. I read quite a few articles by disappointed journalists this morning, and it’s true that the 79th Academy Awards were deficient in politics and ridiculousness, but the awards themselves were decently allocated (especially because I won the prediction competition, a fact which I will savour rubbing in for at least a few weeks). I was slightly appalled by the fact that The Departed earned Best Picture Oscar, just as Brokeback’s loss last year was so inexcusable, but at least Martin Scorsese finally earned his little statuette, albeit entirely out of sympathy. Ellen was overall disappointingly unfunny, and although John C. Reilly, Will Ferrell, and Jack Black partially made up for this fact, Jon Stewart certainly outshone her last year. Pan’s Labyrinth deservedly won a number of Oscars, and the Mexican award-acceptors for the movie were excellently cute and Mexican. Not so cute at the awards last night was Jack Nicholson; he is a mainstay at the Oscars, with his trademark glasses and incredible amusement at everything, but it really is disarming to see him sans-hair. Jess and I used to listen to this tape of the story of the Elephant's Child when we drove to and from Vancouver, and Jack Nicholson voiced the story; I will forever think of him as the horrifying and murderous crocodile , and seeing him with a chrome dome makes him seem all the more creepy and crocodilish.


Also bizarre in the hair department was my beloved Philip Seymour Hoffman, who looked strikingly similar to me when I was 2 and combed Zincofax (diaper cream) all through my hair. I realize that actors are forced to tolerate strange hairstyles for film roles, but couldn’t he have washed his hair prior to walking the red carpet? As for all the acting awards, I think the Academy chose well. Alan Arkin was wonderful in Little Miss Sunshine, and my family said that Forest Whitaker was brilliant in Last King of Scotland. Jennifer Hudson is so very adorable and ingenuous, and Helen Mirren embodies the sort of older person I’d like to be: dignified and intelligent, yet still silly enough to ham it up with Jamie Foxx and Vince Vaughn. Peter Sarsgaard and Maggie Gyllenhaal made an appearance at the awards, and not only was she wearing Proenza & Schouler (my favouritest designers of all), but they remain the cutest, smartest, and most likable celebrity couple of all. They're daughter Ramona Sarsgaard-Gyllenhaal is in very good hands. Perhaps my favourite moment of the night, next to the comedy musical, was Beyoncé's admirable attempt to appear not at all jealous of Jennifer Hudson; at one point, she had to sing the line "You're the best!" to J-Hud (as she is apparently now called), and her fake smile was so massive that I thought her lips might split in two. All in all, it was a first-rate night despite the group of us being tired for various reasons, namely returning from foreign countries, writing essays all weekend, and facing the grim prospect of school the next day.



Among the extraneous tidbits of my life, I miss reading week a wee bit. I slept 2 hours (a truly awful amount of time to sleep!) last night after editing my essay on the awfulness of racial profiling, and missed my first class due to issues with our upstairs printer, heretofore known as The Printer of Death. It was an interesting essay to research, and the issue has more complexity than I initially thought, but I’m glad to be done with reading about the horridness of American law enforcement and inherent Canadian racism. On a happy note, my gashed lip and toe from dancing are pretty much entirely healed, and I’ve missed not a single call on Owen since the weekend! Plus, I’m enjoying the spring cleaning that I did over reading week, despite the family room being taken over by Jess’ Rube Goldberg machine for Science Olympics. Her all-girl team is always really intense, and like to make all of their contraptions pink for some absurd reason; last year, they won the silver medal out of dozens of teams (they’re little mad scientists except with prettier hair). Jess recently got seriously gorgeous new glasses after Mitchell Buyer playfully threw his school bag at her face and broke her previous pair. They’re almost as cool as Jude Law’s specs in The Holiday.

Jess has also joined Facebook, which is really rather fun, except that she doesn’t quite understand how it works yet. I sent her a message days ago, she replied on her own wall (gasp!), and proceeded to simply delete her message. But basically this provides another opportunity for me to barrage Jess with my thoughts on various topics. The ability to tag her in pictures by which she is embarrassed is quite happifying as well. I’ve got a fun week of midterms ahead of me, so I should likely get to some reading and reviewing! Although I suspect that no amount of studying will help me with one Michael Snyder’s entirely capricious marking schemes (Betty and Nicole and I concur that he is certainly the worst professor we have ever encountered in our years at the University of Alberta; he derides refugees for pity’s sake). But studying does have its benefits, including the learning of strange terms, reason to create memory-aiding rhymes, and an excuse to do my laundry later on. I hope you're all having excellent Seasons of Lent; flowers and sunshine and Easter are just around the bend!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have one little question: Do you believe in evolution or creationism?
I believe in god, but find evolution more plausible. :P

Matt said...

What about evolutionary creationism? I heard it's the bomb. Do tell Cait. I have yet to voice my opinions on my blog and it would be interesting to see what someone else thinks as well so I can engage that point of view. Make sure to include your thoughts on a global flood just to spice it up a bit.

P.S. Good days are always great to hear about. Thanks for passing on some joy.
P.P.S. Feel free to delete this comment seeing as it has nothing to do with your post really.
P.P.P.S. You are lucky that you didn't tell me about your high hopes for Pan's Labyrinth or I may have given you a real run for your money picking the Oscar winners. Next year I shall be victorious! (I may require sitting in the green chair and copying your Mom's picks for all the short film categories)

Cait said...

I think Cait just might have bought into this evolutionary creationism idea. It’s pretty credible.

I’ve neglected replying to this not-so-little (but good, nonetheless) question because there’s just so much to consider when discussing it! In short, I do ardently believe in God, but don’t feel it necessary to my base my faith on the idea that God created this place we call the universe in six literal 24 hour days. I, too, think that evolution is quite plausible, and don’t find that it threatens my confidence in God’s existence or His creation of us in His image.

The “evolutionary creationism” that Matt alludes to is the idea that God created the universe indirectly through ordained natural processes, including evolution. I believe that God is absolutely present in the universe and in our lives, and that the Bible is the Word of God. Nevertheless, I also think that the first chapters of Genesis were written in a style and in a time that indicate that Genesis doesn’t literally dictate how God set up His creation. (There’s loads and loads to talk about when it comes to Genesis, so I’ll leave that for another day perhaps!)

I hesitate to be as absolutist in my beliefs regarding creation as many literalist creationists are (what an awful lot of ist’s in a row!), because God easily could have created us, and everything around us, in some entirely different way. But one of the things that I think is truly amazing about creation is that God set it up in a way that allows us to explore, analyse, and learn about it in a scientific way.

A lot of my friends and family get so much joy from pondering black holes and the nature of time, putting jellyfish genes into lab mice, or learning about the evolution of animals from fungus. Seeing the world through a scientific lens makes the universe even more beautiful and intriguing, and I love that God gave us the ability to see everything through that lens. I think that intentionally God created a scientific world.

While I believe in miracles and God’s hand in the world, I think that God made a world that conforms to scientific logic, and the scientific evidence overwhelmingly points to evolution. This obviously has some ramifications for my thoughts regarding original sin and my reading of the Bible, but again, I’ll save that for another entry!

The fact that Christians (especially those of the North American breed) so often disparage science, and evolutionary theory in particular, makes me very, very sad. Many people find Christianity hard to take seriously because so often it’s associated with close-mindedness and an unswerving refusal to think logically and accept evidence. This, to me, is horribly tragic. Jesus was not at all a fan of narrow thinking and defensiveness.

I think I’ll leave it at that, though there really is loads to talk about when considering evolution and the Bible and creation, and how these things fit together! If you ever get the opportunity to hear Denis Lamoureux speak on this subject, I highly recommend that you take it. He’s a super smart guy, and one who clearly loves God and wants to make sense of all this. Rob Bell speaks briefly (and eloquently) about the evolution debate in Velvet Elvis, so you might want to check his book out as well. Perhaps Matt will also finish his evolution entry (which he was going to post geologic ages ago!) at some point, and that will be slightly more elucidating!

P.S. I like comments that are extraneous and tangential. They make me smile.

P.P.S. I am lucky that I hadn’t mentioned how very splendid Pan’s Labyrinth was; if I lost two years in a row, the pain might have been unbearable. AND, just for the record, I did not use any of my mom’s answers for the short categories despite sitting in the green chair; that’s because I’m such a decent person, beyond such temptations. You can sit in the green chair next year, Matt, but I warn you that my mom sometimes swings her arms around when excited at the Oscars, and accidentally hits things. This year, it was a lamp. Next year, it could be someone’s head. (Plus, I’ll win next year even without my prime seat-placement.)

P.P.P.S. People’s vehemence about global flood makes me frown. In my cladistics class (basically a class about taxonomy and evolution), my prof was extremely frustrated by Christians’ sometimes rigid attachment to the idea of global flood. Government employees and rangers at the Grand Canyon have been ordered by the federal government to stop referring to scientific approximations of the canyon’s age, and instead are encouraged to tell visitors that the Great Flood likely created the canyon. How is what amounts to deception acceptable? I don’t think it is. It’s just so silly to deny the possibility of a local flood when it fits so much better with science, and doesn’t take anything away from the Bible’s authority. That’s enough ranting for one post-post-postscript.

P.P.P.P.S. This might be my longest comment (on my own blog) so far. I’m not sure if this is an accomplishment or another horrible failure to be concise.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your answering, it was quite...capacious.

Anonymous said...

P.S Happy Women´s Day!
Can´t send flowers, It would be too expensive and anyway Im already out of money(like usually).

zumruduanka said...

sufism: Come, come again, whatever you are.. mevlana, turkey
Come, Come again ! Whatever you are... Whether you are infidel, idolater or fireworshipper. Whether you have broken your vows of repentance a hundred times This is not the gate of despair, This is the gate of hope. Come, come again... Not Christian or Jew or Muslim, not Hindu, Buddhist, sufi, or zen. Not any religion or cultural system. My place is placeless, a trace of the traceless. Neither body or soul. Mevlana Jelauddin RUMI