Friday, October 27, 2006

Let the Little Ones Come

Children are perphaps my favourite kind of people. Qualities of inquisitiveness, candidness, and appreciation of life are so apparent in their makeup, and the fact that these traits often fade as we age is saddening. I read The Little Prince last night, for likely the thirtieth trillionth time, and was again struck by how errant us "grown ups" are in how we perceive life. While this book is charmingly farcical, it's also quite pointed in how it makes light of adults and their absurdity. We may gain knowledge and accumulate facts as we advance in years, but it seems that there's a tendency for us to increasingly allow certain experiences and things learned to keep us from learning other things. The title character in the book is in awe at the loveliness of a tiny flower and its few petals, an attitude that's juxtaposed with the adult fixation on gaining wealth, power, and the admiration of others. Not only are the more mature foils of the little prince excessively focused on the ephemeral and insignificant aspects of life, but they are hardened. Their toughened hearts fail to exhibit the same compassion that the tenderhearted prince displays, and their self-centred motives lead them down paths of futility and insatiability. Although they've seen more than the young royal, their perspective has shrunk to the size of themselves alone. Sometimes I can feel myself becoming the adult that I don't want to be. I realize that humans in general are nasty creatures, and care a bit less about them. My kindness is abused and my naivete manipulated, and I no longer feel compelled to be altruistic, and giving the benefit of the doubt seems imprudent in some way. I'm determined to eschew these inclinations, however. As Jesus appreciated the value of a childish viewpoint, I wish to as well. No matter how many times kindness, friendliness, and consideration for others lead to creepy, irksome, or uncomfortable situations, there's no real excuse to be so absorbed in my adult-self that I think only of my own contentedness. There's no justification for me to lose sight of the amazing creation that God has blessed us with simply because I want an impressive GPA. I have no reason to search for others' love when God so freely offers His, and I'm commanded to share this love with others. There's so much more to be contemplated in The Little Prince, but there's really a horrific lack of time in this break between classes to type more. Really though, if you haven't read this book, you truly must. It's so beautifully written, and espouses so many wise ideas, in addition to the fact that its French and contains a plethora of pictures. Indeed, it would be an abomination to not read this book.
















Tonight is the very last game of the Eskies' 2006 season, and it's perhaps the most heartbreaking end to a season that I will ever attend. Watching Saskatchewan beat us in the Western Semi a few years ago was hard enough, what with all the Riders fans shouting out Eskimo slurs and leaping at every occasion to rub our loss in my face. Thank goodness it was so cold outside, because without the need to stay seated (and warm) I might have hit someone with my foam finger. I suspect that I will cry at some point tonight, and also that the Eskies will pull through and win this final game of 2006. As long as we fare better than the Oilers did last night, I'll be pleased I suppose. More than three decades of making it into the playoffs, and yet for some reason we put on a pathetic show this season. I love Ray, but I think I'm not the only person who missed Maas in this city. There's always next year though! Forget about defending our Grey Cup title, we have to defend our team's dignity next season! Also coming up in the near future, in case you hadn't checked your calendar, is Halloween. I love, love, love getting dressed up, whether in spandex, a little black dress, or in an Inspector Clouseau costume, so an entire day devoted to wearing absurd clothing (and perhaps scaring people a bit too much) is always loads of fun. Last year I was a British monarch, so this year I'm thinking ballerina, 80s fitness superstar, Sherlock Holmes, gnome, bride from the set of Dynasty, or unitard-wearer. Only time will tell how I embarrass myself, but it will probably involve some element of spandex, a fact that is probably obvious to those of you aware of my penchant for spandex. An entirely American Apparel outfit is certainly not beneath me! With the coming of Halloween, and thus the coming of November, comes the advent of acceptable Christmas music listening season. I am determined to get out good Christmas music to the masses, so I am burning Christmas CDs for those who would like one. I'll add a list on of songs in this entry that will inevitably appear on said CDs. (Also Jill, I have to burn your movie soundtrack mixed CD still. Pester me if I forget.) Halloween at midnight might mark one of the scariest times of the year (I tend to imagine very frightening things happening at this hour), but it also marks the hour at which I can play my Christmas albums without others being permitted to complain. This does not mean people do not complain, of course. My beloved coworkers especially complain when I put on Christmas music in November, but I only play it out of a deep love for them. If the amount one loved ones coworkers were directly proportional to the amount that one played festive music for them, I would love my fellow baristas almost infinitely. Finally, I must say that Philip Yancey makes me want to be a better person, not simply because he himself is challenging, but also because he cherishes the inspirational figures in his life, and sets forth what can be learned from these people. Reading [i]Soul[/i] Survivor has caused me to work a bit harder at this thing we call life. Thank goodness for books; there would be so much less opportunity for imagination and contemplation without them.
















Some Reasons Why I Love People Under the Age of 15
  • they're universally cute-looking
  • spontaneity is still a key element of their fun
  • they enjoy colour and use it liberally in their art
  • forgiveness is readily given by them
  • they have no reservations about singing loudly in public
  • they do not drive cars
  • they often give me stickers and drawings of obscure situations
  • small pleasures delight them
  • they are the funniest people around
  • they're indiscriminately friendly
  • they have a thirst for knowledge, and not just knowledge that will benefit them
  • they make my voice sound relatively less juvenile
  • they dance with a lack of inhibition
  • they don't understand war or inequality
  • they're incredibly resilient
  • sometimes they share their candy with me






















Must Haves for Christmas Listening (less than two months left!!)
  • "Walk Out to Winter" Aztec Camera
  • "It's Christmas Time" Barenaked Ladies
  • "Rudy" The Be Good Tanyas
  • "Bittersweet Eve" Belasana
  • "Christmas Song" Dave Matthews Song
  • "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" Death Cab
  • "Christmas for Cowboys" Jars of Clay
  • "River" Joni Mitchell
  • "Christmas in February" Lou Reed
  • "I Heard the Bells on Christmas" Pedro the Lion
  • "Winter Wonderland" Phantom Planet
  • "Maybe this Christmas" Ron Sexsmith
  • "Wonderful Christmastime" Tom McRae
  • "O Holy Night" Avril Lavigne and Chantal Kreviazuk (that's right!)
  • Low's Christmas album
  • Charlie Brown Christmas' entire soundtrack
  • my cousin James' Christmas compositions (ridiculously hilarious)

6 comments:

moog said...

Low's Christmas EP is stunning.

I also have a version of 'O Come O Come Immanuel' by belle and sebastian that is also beautiful

Cait said...

I must find this Belle & Sebastian song! There's a lack of truly good Christmas music in stores right now, and Belle & Sebastian would be sure to do "O Come O Come Immanuel" much justice.

(By the by, our church choir is singing an adaptation of that hymn for Christmas this year, and it's obscenely high for us sopranos. I pity anyone who will be attending the Christmas services this advent season; I would advise that you bring along earplugs. Jess and I groan and sigh loudly everytime we have to sing it in practice.)

Logan said...

Hey there! First off I should introduce myself. I'm Logan, a friend of Allan Zieglers, hence I found your site through his. I'm currently working across the pond in Denmark.

Just wanted to say, I enjoy reading your writings. They are very refreshing and good to read. It's nice to see another view point.

Haha a penchant for spandex on Halloween, sounds like me.

Although I have to dissent on the advent of acceptable Christmas music. Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Christmas music, but I can't start listening until December 1st. But hey, that's me :-)

Your Christmas CD sounds great except I don't know you. But hopefully you'll be giving Mr Ziegler one, and I can bug him for a copy when i get back :-)

Cheers,

Cait said...

Well, nice to internet-meet you Logan! Glad to hear that you get at least something out of reading my musings! And I'll concede, December 1 is probably the widely recognized inaugural day of Christmas music being kosher, but it's just too good to be played for a mere month! One sixth of the year is certainly not too long in my books! I'll be sure to burn a copy or two of the Christmas CD for Allan.

P.S. I'm jealous that you're in Denmark. If only...

Cait said...

Oooh! And British Chris, send your address over Flickr and I'll send you the CD for sure! You certainly have discerning ears, and will hopefully appreciate at least a few of the songs!

Logan said...

I'm jealous of hearing about all the snow in Edmonton! Here in Denmark, just replace the beauty of winter snow with a near constant drizzle of rain accompanied by the bleakness of forever cloudiness. But if I can say one thing, I have become ever more appreciative of the sun, the couple hours per week it pops its head out :-)