Monday, March 07, 2005

me - chucks = 0

Good day!

A horrible incident took place yesterday evening, the details of which I will relate here. I was walking to the evening service at my church last night, and since my city has been experiencing abnormally above 0 Co recently, the sidewalk was covered by lake-sized puddles. Because it was pitch black, I stepped into a particularly muddy puddle, leaving my beautiful high-top Converse Chucks in a poor state. Thus, I created a huge trail of shoe prints through the church and had an uncomfortable 90 minutes in the service.




















Of course, my shoes can just be thrown in the washer, but it takes them about a day to dry. This left me with ballet flats to wear to school today, which I discovered are not appropriate for the weather yet despite the high temperatures. By the time I arrived at my Chem lecture (which took close to 20 minutes), my feet resembled some sort of post-operative monstrosity. They were reddish-purple in colour, and appeared as if they were foreign appendages that had been sewed onto my legs. Needless to say, I hid my feet under my chair during classes. Moral of the story: treat your Chucks with care.

Ever since a few summers ago, I’ve been overly dependent on Converse as my effectively exclusive footwear. Yes, Converse is owned by the sweat-shop using, axis of evil magnate Nike, but their shoes are just sooo attractive and über cool that I can’t help myself. I truly can’t imagine a more comfortable, universally matchable shoe, and they’re totally classic yet “au current.” There’s this tremendous vintage store in my city called Divine that sells a great selection of Chuck Taylors, and whenever I go there with my sister (pictured below being silly with my mom), the manager manipulates us into buying another pair, most of which I’ve outgrown.

I’m thinking of getting the new John Lennon high-tops, with partial proceeds going to some peace related cause, but I’m trying to save up for some other stuff right now, like music. I got the latest Jack Johnson album from iTunes today, and it is transcendentally beautiful. The simple combination of his voice and a guitar works so well, and produces this really pure sound. His folksy singing is absolutely gorgeous, and the lyrics are full of great imagery and messages. This is definitely one to pick up! My Statistics homework is calling to me at the moment, so I’d better attend to it.

















In the eternal words of Spock: live long and prosper!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I like the picture of your sister smelling your mom's hair (?!). It totally bites about your chucks. You should get those shoe covers that elderly men wear in mucky weather! It would look super good, AND there would be no soggy feet. Have fun with les stats devoirs!

Anonymous said...

:( shoe problems are indeed sad. I hope your feet recover, and the weather allows your chucks to stay nice and clean!