Friday, August 18, 2006

I Heart NYC, and You Too

Goodness gracious, I'm giddy at the moment. As many of you know, I tend towards ecstatic silliness at times, particularly later on in the evening, and New York certainly nurtures this tendency. Right now, I'm typing these words from the Apple store by Trump Towers, and am being treated to really great music and loads of extraordinarily pretty NYC boys (skinny pants abound, there are plenty of chunky glasses, and dozens of pairs of hipster-ish shoes). It's rather packed in here since a DJ is in the house tonight, and I'm using a handy dandy MacBook (all the Arwen twins were occupied, Dad). New York is crazy mad goodness, but with this insane fun comes the desire to sleep in and bedtimes around midnight, which is quite bizarre for me. I haven't slept several 8 hour nights in a row in ages, but the continual walking around and sensory overload that we experience apparently necessitates it. New Yorkers are literally the loveliest people in any place I've ever visited. They lack the suspicion of those in London, the aloofness that characterizes the residents of Paris, and the ignorance that I imagined would be inevitable among any large group of Americans. That said, there are some hilariously absurd things that go on in this country, and especially in this city. Nearly every television program here is designed to give viewers some sense of terror and wariness about the world around them, unless it's a show about blind interior decorators who feel vibes to determine how a family should attire their home (I have yet to view this preposterous program, but Nicole and I joke about it frequently; only in America). Darwin the camera is getting quite the workout here, and anyone who is subjected to a slideshow is permitted to yell at me to skip photos at the top of their lungs when required. Muchos muchos muchos gracias to Mom and Dad for all the hassle you went through to get it too me; I pretty much have Darwin tied to my wrist at all times. It's such a gorgeous city, rich with culture, architecture, plant life, bustling crowds of people, diversity, and minute details in each and every square foot of the place. I could take hundreds of thousands of photos every single day, but sadly transferring memory cards onto CDs limits the amount of times I can fill up my oh-so cute 512 MB Secure Digital. I lurve it. Edmonton may seem even less aesthetically pleasing after this jaunt, but I love all you Edmontonians and my digs in McKernan a slight bit too much to remain here forever (but just a slight bit). Courtesy of my grandparents and parents, we got out to see Spamalot, the hysterical and excessively catchy Monty Python and the Holy Grail adaptation and 2005 Tony winner for best musical. It was overwhelmingly grand and fabulous, and I got a souvenir book that I'll have to show you all to see a bit of the magic of Broadway. The art, parks, neighbourhoods, shopping, food, night life, people, music, and subway system here are all superbly splendid, and it's impossible to feel that twelve days isn't close to being enough to take in all the splendour. It'll do though! I miss traveling with you Mom and Dad! I always feel like having you here to share in the discovery of some weirdo sight on the streets, or beautiful art, and I can't wait to bombard you with memories and stories. I miss all you friends too; Nicole more than makes up for my daily dose of silliness, intelligent dialogue, caring concern, equal appreciation of really pretty boys, knowledge of music, and wonderful use of accents and turbans, but it's incredibly odd not seeing all the people I love for an extended period of time. I hope Jess is doing well in Mexico; if you talk to her, tell her the obligatory-but-so-true (that I love and miss her bunches) and that I'm still praying for the last few days of the trip.





















Les Choses We Have Seen
  • Empire State Building
  • dancing bicycle man
  • dangerously packed E-train
  • Radio City Music Hall
  • Rockefeller Centre
  • Apple Store
  • Central Park
  • really heartrending homeless people (soooo sad; I teared up)
  • every high end fashion boutique in the world
  • MoMa
  • Trump Towers
  • Madison Square Gardens
  • Grand Central Station
  • UN
  • Chinatown
  • Wall Street
  • New York Stock Exchange
  • SoHo
  • South Port
  • Greenwich Village
  • Times Square
  • PS 1 Centre for Contemporary Art
  • The Guggenheim
  • Queens
  • Astoria
  • Trinity Church
  • Broadway
  • glow in the dark pin/badge man
  • bubble machines and bubble men
  • zillions of knock off sunglasses
  • tourists galore
  • Bull Statue
  • Saks Fifth Avenue
  • Macy's
  • lots lots lots lots lots more! so little time!

P.S. Cheer for the Eskimos! Hard! Please

P.P.S. I loooooove you!

P.P.P.S. Only six more days! This is sad. But also good.

7 comments:

Andrew said...

Hey Cait,

Wow! New York is all that and a bag of chips! I can't wait to hear all of the most wonderous stories of your travels. That is quite awesome that Darwin is getting his workout.

The lightning is currently rolling throughout the sky, like a little boy in a pool of mud!

See ya back here in the "City of Champions"! And GO ESKS GO!!!

Anonymous said...

Well, the big apple sounds like quite the treat.

Hope that returning will be more sweet than bitter- you'll have more NYC romps in the future, I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

Dear Daughter Number One-

It was fun to read your blog and get a taste of all the stimulating things you're experiencing. Will look forward to more stories and photos when you're home.
The Mexico trip is going very well though we haven't communicated directly with Daughter Number Two.
Glad to know things are going well for both of you. You're in our thoughts and prayers,
Love Mom and Dad

NICOLE. said...

hey cait. i'm standing right next to you in the lovely apple store that has lovingly provided us with free internet these past few days. it has been a blast venturing around the big apple with you. perhaps the future holds many more travel adventures for us!!!

Cait said...

I love you Nicole. I also love Apple. And the Big Apple. But especially you.

Love,
Cait

Also... Thanks for the lurvely comments guys! It's good to be reminded that friends and family exist outside of the netherworld of New York, and that you haven't all vanished into thin air. I know I'm a bit repetitive, but I miss you! Muchos muchos muchos!

Love,
Cait

Anonymous said...

Forget the bag of chips, I hope you bring back lots of apples! (Big ones at that!)

Awesome to hear about the places you've been there, but surely there must be more crazy stories :) (I mean "bubble machines and bubble men" there has to be a story behind that!)

moog said...

are you back at college this week? Your blog has been quiet of late. I've been listening to some canadian music recently and am liking the stars very much. Another band from my home town sheffield may be of interest to you. They are monkey swallows the universe at www.mstu.co.uk

i'm pretty sure that their debut is not yet available stateside, but there are some mp3s for downloading.

Oh, and you really should get flickr to host your photos it really is very good flickr.com

hope to read a new post soon