Monday, February 06, 2006

Missing The Stars, and Other Tragedies

Well, this will be an astonishingly concise blog, as midterms are speedily approaching, but I’m really in need of a break right now. I missed The Stars last night because of ghastly linguistics studying; never have I been more upset with school! I could have wept all night, but I refrained, instead doing some reading interspersed with imprudent MSN chatting. Leonard Cohen was inducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame yesterday, which made my rather pathetic Superbowl Sunday afternoon at least slightly enjoyable, although catching an ancient Mick Jagger’s performance at the halftime show was perhaps equally lovely. My weekend was overall quite delightful, full of gnoming, barista-ing, football watching, and studying. Likely the greatest element of it was my lingering joy from hearing that Death Cab and Franz will be in Edmonton in April, and I won’t have to miss out on the concert due to exams, as I missed The Killers last year. While DCFC hasn’t received the best reviews of their live shows, I can’t wait to see Ben Gibbard in person and bask in the excellence of songs like “Transatlanticism,” “Passenger Seat,” and “Marching Bands of Manhattan.”

Of course, Franz Ferdinand is generally regarded as being super-wicked live, and apparently not only because of Alex and Nick’s gorgeousness. I particularly loved their performances at the Brits and Grammys this past year, and I suspect that I may faint when they come out onto the stage. I believe that it was in the Pitchfork article on the tour that I read that they’ll be alternating headlining duties, so I’m interested to see who will play the role of warm-up band in our good old City of Champions. Stephen Harper has just been sworn in as Canada’s twenty-second prime minister, thus necessitating a short mourning period, so I’d better wrap this up. Perhaps I’ll write later on about the cabinet ministers who were named today; I really feel far too horrified to discuss it in depth. Not only is there a deficit of female ministers, but one of the only six women in cabinet, Rona Ambrose, was actually the biggest proponent of giving women a “choice” when it comes to childcare (the choice being: if you’ve got money, do what you want; if you haven’t got much money, too bad). Alas, this is a democracy, and Canadians have chosen this government. It’s better than a dictatorship, I suppose; at least I think it is!

Enjoy your week, comrades!

6 comments:

moog said...

Hope you manage to get tickets for Franz, it'll be a good night. I saw them supporting belle and sebastian a couple of years ago and they were pretty good.

Cait said...

Hopefully I will get tickets! Unfortunately, I don't think that Edmontonians fully appreciate the greatness of these two bands, so I have an inkling that they won't sell out too quickly. But you saw Belle & Sebastian WITH Franz? I'm sooo jealous! If only I lived in Britain...

moog said...

I'm going to see B&S again on thurs, they're touring their new album. This time the support comes from The Rakes - i'll let you know if they are any good. Next week i'm off to see Broken Social Scene from your native land

moog said...

well it was the Brakes, not the rakes.

review here

http://chrisiddon.blogspot.com/2006/02/belle-and-sebastian.html

moog said...

BSS were great, no Feist. There's a review on my blog, and a review of mine was published on channel 4 teletext.

Belle and Sebastian are in canada at this moment - check their website for details

moog said...

oh yeah - and if you go into your blog settings you can turn on 'word verification' which should hopefully stop people like 'sally w' posting their adverts.