Friday, October 21, 2005

Franz and Charles

Hey blog-viewers!

I’m in the middle of midterms right now, and it’s complete lunacy again. Fortunately, three of my five courses this semester are psych courses, which are not only notoriously easy, but populated with students who really don’t study for any significant amount of time. Despite all of the hectic note-taking and reading that I’ve been occupied with recently, I’ve found the time to listen almost obsessively to my current music faves. I think the greatest of all is Franz Ferdinand’s “You Could Have It So Much Better” (shortened to YCHISMB on lots of sites right now). It’s seriously one of the best sophomore albums ever, especially considering how much I adored their first self-titled record. I was a bit nervous for this record, especially after liking, but not loving, Coldplay’s latest “X &Y.” Although I realize that may seem impossible, YCHISMB is actually even better than the first, with songs reminiscent of the Beatles balanced out by the dance-tastic “Evil and a Heathen” and bouncy riffs of “Outsiders.” According to NME, Alex even missed the two weddings of his band-mates as he was so engrossed in the album-making process this summer.

















My top two picks from this record are “Fade Together” and “Eleanor Put Your Boots On,” both surprisingly tender, and of course lyrically brilliant tracks. “Fade Together” has a floaty sound, and speaks about the sometimes over-intensity of love. It’s a lovely song, with an eerie echoing piano playing throughout and their great delivery of lyrics. “Eleanor Put Your Boots On” is a sweet song, directed to Alex’s über-cool girlfriend Eleanor Friedberger (one half of The Fiery Furnaces”). By the by, Eleanor’s brother Matthew is one of the most eloquent and unintentionally hilarious musicians ever. They were recently interviewed by London’s fabulously liberal/intelligent newspaper The Guardian, and I’ll paste a quote of Matthew’s. You might have to have heard some of The Fiery Furnaces to understand why his descriptions of their music are so ridiculous (yet fittingly appropriate).

"‘A hippopotamus and a wolverine are both strong, domineering mammals,’ he says, waving his hands around excitedly. ‘Ultimately, they are very different - yet they are related. We are like the wolverines, Slayer are the hippos. Both are very exaggerated, primitive albums, for their own particular reasons. Anyway,’ he concludes, ‘this is ultimately a mainstream rock record. Like INXS.’ Eleanor does not look as if she is inclined to agree.”

Back to Franz, they are also super cool guys aside from their magnificent musical talents. Alex even shares my deep love for Charles Bukowski, one of the best poets of the twentieth century. Bukowski was pretty rough around the edges as a heavy drinker and womanizer, but his writing is astonishingly transparent and honest, and his style is fluid and intelligent without any condescension or pretense. Because he writes about his inner thoughts, and observations that no one else writes about, his poetry is strangely pertinent in spite of its harsh criticism and pessimism. He’s such a prolific writer, so there are always more of his anthologies for me to take out from the library. What’s even more impressive about his career is that he started out as a postal worker writing poetry on the side, and eventually wrote for an acquaintance for obscenely low wages (I believe he was on the verge of starvation at some points). Later in his life, Bukowski became pretty popular in the poetry scene, and enjoyed a great deal of attention from his young female audience, some of whom he courted on the side. He eventually married, but continued to write his perceptively candid pieces until his death in the late ’90s.

On an entirely different note, I just got back from decorating cakes with a group of girls from my bible study last night. This was not just spreading icing on a cake that we baked; it was full-fledged “flower/leaf/shells making with the bag” cake-decorating. I decorated a cake as a pumpkin with a coupe of other girls, and I must tell you that it looked awesome! We made the ridges of the pumpkin with black piping, and put really cute vines with leaves all over it. It even tasted delectable! On the opposite end of the taste spectrum, the picture of my complete disgust was taken at my grandma's this past weekend after I had a really sick brandy chocolate. My grandma and grandpa don't drink alcohol (mainly because they think it's a bit hypocritical for a pastor to do so), so they have this huge box of chocolates from their neighbour that they can't eat. I wasn't supposed to look so perturbed, but the flavour of alcohol in the centre was quite alarming. I suppose I just haven't acquired a taste for brandy. Anyhow, I should get some shut-eye before I open the café tomorrow at 5:30 (groan). But maybe, as Bukowski warned, it could be “the last night of the world.”

Happy trails!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hope you had fun opening this morning! I was nice and warm in bed at 5:30; I still don't get how you can wake up at such inhumane hours!

Cait said...

5:30 isn't too bad, and I do get off work at 12:00 anyway! But sometimes I do wish I could stay in my cozy bed for a little while longer!